Friday, January 4, 2008

Christmas with Family Schneider!!

its late but here's an update of my chirstmas holidays....

CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION!!!!

Christmas in Switzerland was very enjoyable!! However very different from back home. The big event was on Christmas Eve Day. We put up the christmas tree on christmas eve day which is really weird bc back home the tree goes up soon after thanksgiving!! so it was weird not seeing the tree for a whole month! hah well it was a real tree with only silver and white decorations. my family likes to have just silver and white to make it kinda look like snow or so they say. :) My host sister, Theres and I decorated the tree. oh and they dont put lights on the tree, they use candles! which i think is sooo cool!!! Anyways, then the rest of the day i helped my host mom get the food ready for dinner. i mostly watched and helped when i could! haha For dinner, we had some kind of meat along with this pastry thing...kinda complicated but ill put a picture up. Plus a salad and a bell pepper soup!! sooo delicious!!! Guest present at dinner were: Urs(host dad) Erika (host mom) Theres (host sister) Kathrin (host sister) Stefan (host bro) Laura (Stefan's girlfriend) Marianne ( Urs' sister) Sonja (Urs' mom) Honey (host neighbor) and Erika's mom. After dinner, my host sisters lit the candles on the tree and then we sat around the tree while Urs played the piano. then we sang some christmas songs. Urs then read the Christmas story from the Bible which i thought was really cool even though they arent very religious. Normally, the family waits till the first candle burns out to open presents, Erika's mom couldnt go home too late so we opened them before the first candles burnt out. My host sibs gave me the board game Eile mit Weile which is similar to Sorry. My host rents gave me a puzzle of a switzerland map. soo cool! i even got some chocolate from Sonja, which i totally didnt expect! haha and i gave some things to my host family too. thanks to my mom for getting it for me too!! and avery helped too!! haha so ya the night was really nice. i liked the swiss christmas. it was more relaxed and not so commericial and greedy. i think thats why it was soo enjoyable! :)


^ the table, i helped decorate! ^the main dish of dinner!!! i helped with it too!!



^the chirstmas tree lit!! soo pretty!!
On actual christmas day, we didnt do much. we played some games and watched some movies. i dont think i changed out of my pjs! hah but i did get to talk to family back home!! avery called me first then my host family let me call mom so that was good. i got to talk to her and alyssa then everyone at granny's said hello to me on the phone. later i suprised my dad by calling him on his cell phone. he sounded really suprised and that was the first time i talked to him since ive been in switzerland. pretty weird!! but it was good to hear his voice and i talked to emily of course too! i sure do miss my family!! they're sooo great!!!!



days between christmas and new years:

im just gonna shortly summarize bc its too long to write about!

26th december
went to St. Gallen with Alice and saw the Stiftsbibliothek, Abbey Library, its really old and really cool to see!! then spent the night with alice in Bottighofen! and it SNOWED!! sooo pretty!! we even went sledding!

27th december
left bottigofen early to come back to burgdorf to take a shower and get new clothes before heading to basel to see my twin jessica!! she's amazing!!! i love her!! so we did a little shopping in basel...but i didnt buy anything. then went back to her place. later that night we went to a club to go dancing!!! SOOO MUCH!! dont worry, no alcohol involved! we both dont drink and thats why i love her so much! we slept in the next day and read!! haha it was sooo nice!!!

29th decemeber
went to saas-fee to take package for my host rents. and jessica came with and spent the night! so much fun!

30th december
went to zurich to see jessica(different from early this one is from south africa) off. she was going back home :( the first person i've had to say bye too!! it was sad!!! then hung out in zurich for a little bit


NEW YEARS!!!

so i slept in a little bit on the 31st. always good!! but i went with Deborah, a girl from my school, to her church for a new year's party. it was soo much fun!! so much happened. lots of games!! haha it wasnt overly exciting but it was rather enjoyable. i was really glad to get to spend some time with deborah. she's sooo sweet and is christian which is really cool!! but i cant believe its already the new year!!!! ahhhh!!! sooo crazy!!! that means i come home this year!!! ahhhhh!!
^deborah and me. its not the greatest pic bc she wasnt feeling that good that night. this is my first pic of 2008!!
So ya thats a brief update.....

No comments: